Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Journal Response Entry 1

Journal Response Entry 1 
5-28-14

Journal Response Prompt: What was the author's message? Which story events helped you figure out the message?  

The author's message was that Africans were not treated well in the 13 colonies by some people. This is proved on page 149: the spark kindled on my cheek flared and spread through my entire body. First my eyes, then hair, then down my limbs, until even my toes and fingers felt they were aflame. This story event helped me figure out the author's message by telling me that even if a slave tried to run out a window and escape, they would be treated very harshly, to the point where they would sometimes get burnt or sometimes even die. Another place where this was proved was on page 33: "Madam slapped my face so hard it near threw me to the ground. " This story event helped me figure out the author's message because one of the slave girls giggled, and she got slapped very hard for it. This is another event where African slaves were not treated well. One more place where this is proved is on page 133: "Sold?"  I repeated". This proves again how African slaves were not treated well because you could get sold away from your family or your family could get sold away from you. Overall, these three parts of the book explain why African slaves were not treated very well in the 13 colonies.

No comments:

Post a Comment